AGAPE Tips To Help the AGAPE Room Run Smoothly During Walks
1. Count and number the AGAPE you bring in for bedtime and meals. To be safe, all walks should have 65 pieces of AGAPE for mealtime, and 40 pieces of bedtime AGAPE. Marking it as BEDTIME or MEALTIME with the item count, saves time and makes sure that the AGAPE you prepared is distributed when you want it to be.
2. When dropping off AGAPE please place it in the tote marked for AGAPE drop off in the AGAPE Room or the Kitchen. Please don't sort or attempt to deliver the AGAPE to pilgrims or team members mailboxes yourselves, as each AGAPE chair has their own system for distribution and not knowing that system can cause more work instead of helping.
3. Pilgrims need AT LEAST 15 AGAPE LETTERS for their Sunday Packets. Please don't write letters and date them for Thursday, Friday or Saturday as all letters for Pilgrims will go in their SUNDAY PACKET.
4. Pilgrim AGAPE for Sunday Packet MUST BE ABLE TO FIT IN AN 10" x 13" ENVELOPE. Remember there are at least 15 letters fitting in the Sunday Packets, so there is not a lot of room for oversized AGAPE. We do our best to fit as much as possible into the Sunday Packets, but anything larger than what fits into a 10" x 13" envelope is SUPER AGAPE and will be returned to the Sponsor to be given to the Pilgrim after Sunday night Closing.
5. Some don'ts!!! THere have been some really neat AGAPE - but sometimes because of how it is put together, it is hard to manage and distribute. Please take extra care in packaging AGAPE that has dangling strings, or stickers attached. Putting items that easily tangle in individual sandwich size baggies, and making sure that items with stickers are firmly attached so the stickers stick to the AGAPE and not to each other helps us in delivering the AGAPE, and keeps it looking as sharp as when you dropped it off. Also, please don't make "mix tape" style CD's for Pilgrims. Copying a song without permission of the songwriter/performer is a crime, and despite the good intentions any items not bearing proof of being legal copies will be discarded.
6. It would help us if AGAPE letters have a FIRST and LAST NAME written legibly on it. This applies to BOTH TEAM and PILGRIM. Sponsors, please check any AGAPE letters that your Pilgrims children write to Mom or Dad have their full name written as well. Sometimes we have more than one person on a walk with the same first name, and even the same first name and first initial. We want to make sure that the right person gets the right agape.
101 Agape Ideas
Quick, easy, and inexpensive agape ideas . . . from The Upper Room Discussion Group . . .
1. Rainbow mechanical pencils: Write this down: Jesus Loves You!" or "Jesus has signed
your heart with his blood."
2. Lighters or matches and a candle: "You are the light of the World!"
3. Mending kits: "God fixes everything."
4. Soap bubbles: "Let God's love bubble over in you!"
5. Jigsaw puzzle pieces either hot glued to a pin back or a card (You can put a piece of
magnet strip on the back of the card for a fridge magnet.): "God put it all together for
you." Or "Puzzled? Talk to God." Or "Don't let Jesus be your missing piece!" or "If life is a
puzzle, turn to the Lord." Or "Now I know in part, then I shall know fully. 1 Corinthians
6. One-inch wooden disc with clothespin glued to front and a piece of magnet tape on back
of clothespin. Decorate disc with a sticker or leave plain. "God can hold it all together!"
7. Little notebooks or note pads. "Write this down: Jesus Loves You!"
8. Small calendars (wallet size are good): "I am with you always. Jesus"
9. Seed packages: "Grow in Christ."
10. Life Savers: "Jesus is the real life saver!"
11. Small rulers: "Measure your life in Christ." Or "Jesus Rules!"
12. Emory board or small piece of sand paper on a card: "Jesus can smooth away all our
13. Nail on a card. "Need an eternal fix? Try John 3:16."
14. Butterfly anything: "God changes things."
15. Diaper pin: "God can change even the worst of things."
16. Earth magnet or pins or erasers: "Jesus: Don't leave earth without Him!"
17. Maps or compasses: "Jesus is the way" or "Lost? Talk to God" or "Need directions? Talk
to the Father." Or "Lost? Follow the Son."
18. Magnifying glass: "See everything clearly with Christ" or "Let your faith be magnified." Or
"If they dusted your Bible for fingerprints, would they find any fresh ones? Your word is a
lamp to my feet and a light to my path. Psalm 119:105."
19. Small bars of soap: "God can make all things clean."
20. Dinosaur eggs (the little capsules that hatch a dinosaur when soaked in hot water) or
small plastic figures: Even when God was dealing with these guys, He was thinking of
You! Card should include hatching directions if you use the capsules.
21. Emergency rain ponchos: "When life gives you rain, God gives you rainbows!"
22. Safety pin with brightly colored beads on it: "God will help you hold it all together."
23. Yo-yos: "God will be there though all your ups and downs."
24. Rock. Write "Jesus is the rock" and draw a cross on the rock.
25. Duct tape and nail. Put a small piece of duct tape on a card. Then put a nail through the
card as if you were pinning something to it. On card write: "Men fix everything with duct
tape. God used his son."
26. Penny hot glued to a card. "Jesus just makes 'cents'"
27. Runts candies in a small bag. "The fruits of the spirit are."
28. Paper clip chain made of brightly colored paper clips or several brightly colored paper
clips hanging on an earring hoop: "Genesis 9:13"
29. Foam heart glued to a card: "Give your heart to Jesus." Or any heart verse.
30. Candy conversation hearts: "These go in your tummy. Put Jesus in your heart."
31. Teddy bear stickers or very small (1/2 inch) teddy bears or gummy bears. "God's love
32. Erasers: "Jesus erased all your sins."
33. Key chain: "Let Jesus be the key to your life" or "Put God in the driver's seat."
34. Shoe horns: "For a perfect fit every time, try Jesus."
35. Bookmarks with the Order of Reunion printed on them.
36. Disposable razors: "God will get you out of even the hairiest situations."
37. Earplugs: "For all those times when noise is not so joyful."
38. Atomic fireballs: "Get fired up for Christ!"
39. Smiley face anything: "Smile. God loves you."
40. Small plastic or balsa wood planes or miniature kites: "Fly high with Christ."
41. Band aid on card: "Christ heals all."
42. Small jars or pots made from Play Dough and hardened. "Put yourself in the potter's
43. Finger traps: "Submit to Christ and be free." You may want to explain on the card that the
finger trap will hold you as long as you struggle and pull.
44. Hand held fans: cut a large heart from card stock or other paper and tape this to a pencil.
Print on heart before cutting and taping: "Join the Jesus fan club."
45. Golf tees taped to a card: "Jesus will always fit your needs to a tee!"
46. Airhead candy: "Don't be an airhead! Listen to Jesus!"
47. Kool Aid packages: "Let Jesus be the cool aid in your life."
48. Hershey kiss(es) on a card: "A good night kiss for you. Sleep in peace as God watches
over you" or "An honest answer is like a kiss on the lips." Proverbs 24:26 or with 2 kisses
49. A mint taped to a card: "Jesus is 'mint' for you."
50. Small piece of sponge attached to a card: "Soak up God's love."
51. Gum, caramel, starburst candy, tootsie roll or other chewy candy: "Choose Jesus" or
"Choose this day whom you will serve." Joshua 2:4-15
52. Now and Later candy: "Jesus Now and Later."
53. Q-tip taped to a card: "Open our ears, Lord. We want to hear Jesus."
54. Small plastic frogs: "FROG: Fully relying on God."
55. Little fake wedding bands (wedding section of a craft store): "You are the bride of Christ."
56. Gold Fish crackers: "Come follow me and I will make you fishers of men." Matthew 4:19
57. Small back scratchers: "God always has a hand for you!"
58. Skittles candies: "Taste the rainbow of God's love."
59. Small bottles of drinking water: "Drink the eternal water of life."
60. Alka seltzers: "Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, Oh, what a relief Christ is!"
61. Rolaids glued to a card that says: "Jesus spells relief."
62. Brightly colored toothpicks or a brightly colored guitar pick attached to a card: "Pick
63. Equal package: "Nothing equals Jesus!"
64. Picture of a cell phone. Photocopy picture on paper and color with bright colors: "Call on
God. Unlimited free anytime access."
65. Small packages of tissues: "God will take your tears and make an ocean."
66. Gold wrapped chocolate coins: His love is more precious than gold."
67. Corks or fishing bobbers: God's love is unsinkable.
68. Small match box-size cars: "Put God in the driver's seat."
69. Individual Shout stain removers: "Shout to the Lord."
70. Bit of Honey or fast food size honey package: Psalm 19:10
71. Tea bag: "No teas-sing, Jesus Loves you."
72. Cream Savers: You are the cream of the crop. Let Jesus be your Life Savior.
73. Empty brown paper lunch bag with a business-size card inside. Card reads: "Feed my
Sheep. John 21:17 — In honor of your walk to Emmaus, a donation has been made to (a
soup kitchen, food pantry, lunch program, whatever you decide). Today, because of your
walk, some of his sheep have been fed."
74. Glue stick: "Stick with Christ."
75. Small cross, covered with glitter on a card: "Shine Jesus Shine."
76. Small pocket size mirrors: "Let Christ be reflected in you."
77. Letter openers: "God opens up a whole new world of possibilities."
78. Toy watches: "God has all the time in the world for you." Or "Ecclesiastes 3:1"
79. Nerd candies: "Only nerds don't love Jesus!" or "Jesus even loves nerds."
80. Small plastic or feather birds (floral section of craft store): "Matthew 10:31"
81. Toy paratroopers (party favors): "Let Jesus be your parachute."
82. Small wedding or cowbells: "Ring out! The Lord is near!"
83. Individually wrapped hand wipes: "Jesus makes all things clean."
84. Plastic weighted ducks (the type used in carnival games): "Life with Christ is just ducky!"
85. One-hundred dollar bill note pads: "In one person's hands, just a few bills paid. In another
person's hands, a fortune to be made. A life in man's hands, just biology on earth. A life
in Christ's hands, eternal re-birth." Or "Christ has paid your debt in full!"
86. Mini-frisbees or spinning tops: "I may not always know where I'm going, but the one I'm
following does. ‘The Lord will guide you always.’ Isaiah 58:11"
87. Whistle: "Whistle while you work Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as
working for the Lord, not for men. Colossians 3:23."
88. Miniature clothes pins (doll house size) clipped to a card that (ideally) has a graphic of
something hanging on a clothes line: "Hang your troubles on the Lord and He will sustain
you. Psalm 55:22a"
89. Thin rainbow ribbon tied to a paper clip and clipped to a card. "Clip this to page 48 in your
90. Graphic of a grouchy looking or crying person (ideally a cartoon-looking picture) on a
small laminated card with a piece of magnet tape on back. "It's a fact — No one crashes
a pity party. ‘I am greatly encouraged, in all our troubles joy knows no bounds.’ 2
91. Recipe card with Bible cake recipe on it on one side and "Live, Breathe, and Eat his
word” printed on the other.
92. Fishing bobber: "Don't let things pull you down." Matthew 6:25-34
93. WWJD bracelets or pins, PUSH bracelets or pins, FROG bracelets or pins or brightly
colored nylon bracelets. Tag these with "Adorn yourself for Christ."
94. Unsharpened pencils: "Without Christ, life is pointless."
95. Milky Way candy bars: "He had a universe to choose from, but God chose you."
96. Pill bottle: outside label Rx from: The Great physician/ Dosage: Daily or as needed Active
Ingredient: Holy Spirit /Refills: Unlimited/Amount due: Debt paid in full by Jesus Christ.
Fill the bottle with paper strips on which your have printed a variety of Bible verses.
97. Large fishing hook hot glued to a pin back (You may want to use wire cutters to cutoff the
barb. ). Glue or dangle a fish on which you have printed Jesus from the point: "I'm
hooked on Jesus." Or "Be fishers of men."
98. Small plastic babies (craft store, baby shower section) glued to a strip of cardstock wider
the baby. On card stock, print "Born again." Glue card to a pin back.
99. CD labeled to say: "Jesus Christ Eternity free." Add graphics such as a dove or across.
You can get these in a variety of colors.
100. Baseball trinkets: "No outs. All safe with Christ" or "Hit a home run with Christ."
101. Mustard seed glued to a piece of cardstock: "A little faith goes a long way.
NEWS FROM THE AGAPE CHAIR
Just a reminder from our Agape Chair. The number of pieces of Agape for walks are as follows:
Men's walk 65 mealtime 40 bedtime
Women's walk 65 mealtime 40 bedtime
Thank you for sharing the Love of Christ!
WHY A PRAYER VIGIL?
I admit it. Sometimes I have trouble praying for five minutes, let alone the hour that the Emmaus and Chrysalis Prayer Vigils ask from me when I sign up. Still, I keep signing up. And I keep praying, even when I have one eye on the clock and 60 minutes seems like 60 hours!
Just what is a prayer vigil anyway?
The idea is centuries old in the church. A "vigil" indicates a time of vigilanc, a time of wakefulness or watch. In the earlier days of the church, they were usually kept on the night before a religious feast.
In Emmaus and Chrysalis Communities, we use the Prayer Vigil during the 72 hours of our Walk to Emmaus weekends. We use the time to intercede for the Pilgrims, Team members and the families of all those involved. We ask for God to come down and make a difference in their lives and the lives of those of us in the Emmaus Community, because one thing is for certain... when God shows up it makes a difference.
And I think that is the key to a Prayer Vigil - asking God to make a difference. The times I find it difficult to last more than 5 minutes in prayer, the difference has to start with me. Why me? Because if He makes a difference in me, I know He can do it for the Pilgrims and for the Team.